While compression socks are a popular choice for air travel, compression boots are also available that can be used during flights.
Yes, you can use compression boots when you fly on a plane. These boots apply external pressure to the legs, helping to prevent leg swelling and blood clots during long periods of sitting.
They can be used during long car rides, train rides, or bus rides to help prevent leg swelling and blood clots.
Additionally, they are useful for people who have to stand for long periods of time during travel, such as flight attendants or bus drivers.
Below I highlight top products based on expert reviews and customer feedback.
My FAVORITE Pair: Best value and features.
However, it’s important to note that compression boots aren’t suitable for everyone. It’s always best to consult with a doctor before using compression boots or socks during air travel.
I have a full buyer’s guide for compression boots here, where I researched a bunch of boots and read through the customer reviews and compared the best and worst of all of them.
If you want a deep dive and guide through what to look for in a good pair that will last you a long time and not break the bank, go check that out here.
Tips for flying with compression boots
- Wear comfortable clothing: Compression boots can be quite bulky, so it’s important to wear comfortable clothing that won’t restrict your movement or make you feel uncomfortable.
- Use them during the flight: Compression boots are most effective when used during periods of prolonged sitting, such as during a long flight. Be sure to wear them for the duration of your flight to get the maximum benefit.
- Adjust the settings: Compression boots have different pressure and duration settings. Be sure to adjust the settings to your comfort level and follow the manufacturer’s instructions for use.
- Stay hydrated: Compression boots can help to improve circulation, but it’s important to stay hydrated during your flight to ensure optimal blood flow. Be sure to drink plenty of water and avoid alcohol and caffeine, which can dehydrate you.
- Take breaks: While compression boots can help to reduce the risk of blood clots, it’s still important to take breaks and move around during your flight. Get up and walk around the cabin every hour or so to stretch your legs and improve circulation.
A few things to keep in mind when buying compression boots
When choosing compression boots, it’s important to consider the compression level. It’s measured in millimeters of mercury (mmHg) and determines the amount of pressure the boots will apply to your legs. A higher compression level means more pressure, so it’s important to choose a level that is appropriate for your needs. If you’re new to compression boots, starting with a lower compression level is recommended and gradually increasing as needed.
Size and Fit
Choosing the right size and fit is crucial for getting the most out of your compression boots. Make sure to measure your legs and refer to the manufacturer’s sizing chart to ensure a proper fit. A good fit should feel snug but not too tight, and the boots should cover the entire length of your legs. Some models also offer adjustable straps or custom sizing options to ensure a perfect fit.
They come with a variety of features that enhances your experience. Look for models with adjustable pressure settings, different massage modes, and automatic shut-off timers. Some models also come with wireless control and Bluetooth connectivity for added convenience. Consider which features are most important to you and choose a model that meets your needs.
Brand and Price
When it comes to compression boots, brand and price can play a role in your decision. While many reputable brands are on the market, it’s important to do your research and read reviews before making a purchase. Additionally, prices vary widely depending on the features and brand. Consider your budget and needs when choosing a product.
|Helps improve circulation and reduce muscle soreness||Can be expensive|
|Offers a convenient at-home massage option||Not suitable for use with certain medical conditions|
|Can be used for post-workout recovery or relaxation||Requires regular cleaning and maintenance|