What is the FAA Part 107 test?
This is the written exam that is required by the FAA in order to be certified to operate your drone under the Small UAS Rule (Part 107). So you will be allowed to fly your drone commercially and earn money.
This test will certify that you understand all the requirements, rules and regulations, and safety procedures for flying drones.
Requirements to hold FAA license
In order to become a pilot you must have the following requirements:
- Be at least 16 years old
- Be able to read, speak, write, and understand English
- Be in a physical and mental condition to safely fly a drone
- Pass the initial aeronautical knowledge exam
There are approximately 700 locations in the United States where you can complete the exam. The full location list can be found here.
You will need to schedule an appointment with one of these testing centers and bring a government issued photo id with you.
How To Study For The Part 107 Exam
The FAA has a free online training course, which is intended for Part 61 pilot holders. But that doesn’t mean you can’t use complete the course as well. Anyone can access this training and use it for your own personal studying. Even non-drone pilots can register online and take the course.
A great option for learning some more general aviation content is the FAA published book the Pilot’s Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge.
When studying for the exam, you will need to cover the following topics.
- Applicable regulations relating to small unmanned aircraft system rating privileges, limitations, and flight operation
- Airspace classification and operating requirements, and flight restrictions affecting small unmanned aircraft operation
- Aviation weather sources and effects of weather on small unmanned aircraft performance
- Small unmanned aircraft loading and performance
- Emergency procedures
- Crew resource management
- Radio communication procedures
- Determining the performance of small unmanned aircraft
- Physiological effects of drugs and alcohol
- Aeronautical decision-making and judgment
- Airport operations
- Maintenance and preflight inspection procedures
The Part 107 Fee to complete the exam is $150. It is compiled of 60 multiple choice questions broken down into the following:
#2. Airspace & Requirements
#4. Loading & Performance
Count on the exam questions to cover 10-15% of each section with more emphasis placed on regulations (about 15%-20%)
* Pro Tip: If you fail the exam on the first try, don’t worry about it! You can rewrite the test again in 14 calendar days.
So If you are going to start studying for the Part 107 written exam, I recommend that you consider taking a ground school course that will teach you everything you need to know.
Drone Pilot Ground School is an online test prep course for commercial drone pilots looking to pass the FAA Aeronautical Knowledge Test for a Remote Pilot Certificate.
Over 99% of our students pass on their first attempt.
Here is what you will receive during the course:
70+ Video/Text Lectures
Access a curriculum built in partnership with a Gold Seal Certified Flight Instructor (CFI) and former Chief Pilot of a Part 141 Flight School to align directly with the FAA’s remote pilot certification requirements.
5 Practice Tests & 1:1 Support
Get ready to take your Part 107 Aeronautical Knowledge Test at your local FAA testing center with our lecture quizzes and 5 full-length practice tests. Get personal support via phone and email.
Flight Proficiency Training
While flight proficiency isn’t required by the FAA, we hold our students to a higher standard. Receive a Drone Pilot Ground School diploma when you pass our flight proficiency challenge.
We’ll cover your testing fee (normally $150) if you don’t pass the FAA test after taking our course. With our 99%+ success rate, this rarely happens, but we have your back in case it does.
To keep your license, you’ll need to pass a recurrent FAA knowledge test every 24 months. Our students get lifetime access to our online training course, which we update regularly with the industry.
Real FAA Test Questions
Master the FAA’s test concepts with our database of 300+ multiple choice questions. After completing a practice test, you’ll be emailed a performance report and a breakdown of your incorrect responses.
Find out more about Drone Pilot Ground School by clicking the banner below and get started today!
You May Also Like: